Camo at the Capitol
Wyoming Wildlife Federation – Camo at the Capitol
Wednesday, February 21, 2018
Camo the Capitol – Is more than just a day for hunters and anglers to get together in Cheyenne at the legislature. The day will offer a training on how the legislature works, guest speakers from the Governor’s office, Wyoming Game and Fish Department, and experts on lobbying and current wildlife and recreation issues. You will leave this day knowing how you can be a better advocate for wildlife and have the chance to put your skills to work and meet your legislators at the Capital and the evening reception.
10:00 AM: Camo at the Capitol kicks off at Laramie County Library. Welcome!
10:05 AM: Introductions of attendees (Name, where their from, and their favorite place or species in Wyoming that motivated them to be here today) (Dwayne Meadows, ED Wyoming Wildlife Federation)
10:15 AM: Introduction to the legislature and legislative process (Bri Jones, Wyoming Wildlife Federation Board Member, Jessi Johnson, WWF Public Land Organizer, Craig Benjamin, National Wildlife Federation)
- Generally how a bill becomes law (bicameral legislature, committee process, daily agenda and yellow/green/purple sheets)
- Understanding and reading a bill (use one of our targeted pieces of legislation)
- Legislative decorum and you as an advocate, how to call out legislators and send notes
- The power of them as citizens and advocates and their voices today
- Getting involved back home
- Importance of the press, sample LTE’s, and alternative ways to raise your voice.
11:00 AM: Dive into WWF’s legislative issues and talking points on targeted legislation (Dwayne, Jessi)
11:30 PM: Lunch served
Guest Speakers (10 min + time for questions)
- TBD – Power of the Press
- Scott Smith – Deputy Director of G&F, Role of the G&F
- David Willms – How the Governor’s Office and the Legislature work together
12:45 PM: Travel to Jonah Building at the Capitol
1:00 PM: Brief tours in the capital (break into smaller groups) and afternoon spent lobbying and meeting legislators for individual discussion
5:00 PM: Meet for Beers and Informal Debrief – Plains Hotel
7:00 PM: Wyoming Sportsmen’s Alliance Legislative Reception – Cheyenne Botanic Gardens
The WYSA Legislative Reception is a great event and a must attend. It will be an opportunity to meet legislators in a relaxed setting with fellow conservation advocates. This year wild game will be served as appetizers, and drinks will be provided by Black Tooth Brewing. Wyoming Governor Matt Mead is scheduled to speak along with other key legislators.
Scholarship: We value your voice. If you cannot afford this event but truly want to come, please contact Jessi Johnson email@example.com
The Wyoming Wildlife Federation wants all who want to come to have the opportunity. We have limited funding to provide some reimbursement for travel and have reserved a few hotel rooms for volunteers for Feb 21st. Lunch is on us.